Duck Duck go

Here is a new search engine featured on OZTL

DuckDuckGo

In my early investigations, as I prepare a unit on Digital Tattoos (a term I picked up during my recent Personal Learning Network online course – GO State Library of Victoria!), I have looked at the search engine DuckDuckGo. I have learnt about search leakage, search bubbles (and filtering) and search tracking. This search engine does none of those things and you’ll notice its URL begins with an HTTPS (emphasis on the ‘S’).

It looks and feels clean, it seems to provide useful hits and when I emailed a suggestion to them a couple of weeks ago I received an Actual Response that sounded like it came from a human being. (My gentle complaint to them was that their logos – a la Google – do not offer one female example. I feel it is incumbent on me now to offer them some stunning options around which they can create some balance. Especially now.) I’m making an effort to use it more so I can confidently demonstrate it to my students and show them the straightforward tutorials offered when you click on the word “anonymously”.

I commend this search engine to you!

Joanna Durst

Regarding Duck Duck Go –

A fabulous search engine, which is very secure, Duck Duck Go has another fantastic feature – the Bang!

Placing an exclamation mark (known as the bang) and the initial letter of major websites takes you directly there and provides a secure search – e.g.

!g dogs will instantly bring up a search on Google for dogs. !yt is for YouTube, !a is for Amazon etc…

Another great reason to use Duck Duck Go!

Regards,

Kay Cantwell