Welcome to the English Language Growth Resource:
Support for this project has been provided by the Australian Learning and Teaching Council, an initiative of the Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.
- Module 1: Staying motivated about your English. Module 1 introduces students to the importance of one’s motivation and beliefs and how these factors can have an impact on one’s learning.
- Module 2: Using your English. Module 2 introduces students to opportunities where they might use their English more and how to cope in these situations. This module also alerts users to consider how much they are actually using English in their day-to-day lives and how this might be increased.
- Module 3: Studying in English. This module covers strategies of value for academic learning, such as, social strategies (learning with groups, friends, etc), cognitive strategies (actual ways to expand knowledge) and metacognitive strategies (ways to organise one’s learning).
- Module 4: What your lecturers expect of you. In Module 4 advice is provided about the expectations of lecturers. This information focuses in particular on the value of time commitment and exposure to the discipline area through extended reading.
- Module 5: Strategies for you to try. Module 5 is the longest module and includes strategies for improving the four language skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing). This module also includes a section on developing one’s vocabulary for better discipline understanding and information literacy.